BBQ PULLED PORK FRIED MAC AND CHEESE BITES
- 1 recipe Homemade Mac and Cheese (using the Five Cheese Variation in recipe notes section) , prepared, but NOT baked
- 3-4 lb boneless pork shoulder (or butt), netting removed
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups Stubb’s Legendary Bar-B-Q Sauce (Original flavor)
FRIED MAC AND CHEESE BITES:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs + 1 Tbsp water, beaten together
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 cups canola, sunflower, or peanut oil
- minced fresh parsley, for garnish
- additional Stubb’s Original Bar-B-Q sauce, for drizzling and dipping
1.To the bottom of a slow cooker (I use a 6 qt size), add onions and garlic. Top with chicken stock.
2. Combine brown sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin and black pepper and rub all over pork shoulder. Place pork on top of the onion mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6-7 hours, or LOW for 8-10, until pork is fork tender.
3. Remove pork from slow cooker and place in large mixing bowl. Shred using two forks, discarding any pure fat pieces. Stir in Stubb’s Original Bar-B-Q Sauce and set aside.
4. Add pulled pork to prepared mac and cheese, stirring to thoroughly combine. Cover and refrigerate for several hours until firm, or overnight.
MAC AND CHEESE BITES:
1.Scoop large golfball sized balls of the cold mac and cheese (an ice cream scoop works perfectly!), and use hands to form into complete ball shape. Place onto wax paper lined plate or baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mac and cheese. Place plate or baking sheet in freezer for 30 minutes.
This recipe is brought to you by The Chunky Chef.